Saturday, July 19, 2014

Day 0 Minneapolis to Rock Valley



It's been a long day. I awoke at 3am and never went back to sleep. Nerves. Headed to Burnsville to catch my charter bus to Iowa and was on the road by 8am. 

Arrived in Rock Valley about 1pm. Not too many people had arrived yet but I found the ESPN/LIVESTRONG/DISH Entertainment RV waiting. It has TV's inside and out, dish network and lots of beer and wine. I knew instantly this was unlike any other ride I have ever done. 


Once everyone arrived we had a  LIVESTRONG team meeting. Chris Brewer walked though the day tomorrow and then the virgins ceremony took place. All of us newbies to RAGBRAI have "virgin" in black marker down our calves now. Picture to come later. 

Headed into town and grabbed a delicious meal. Lots of pork options here (Arloa you would love it). 

Every house and business is decorated for RAGRAI. It is amazing. This town pulled out all the stops. They had bull riding and Norm and Cindy both made it 22 seconds. 




 I keep having to remind myself that although I'm with my amazing LIVESTRONG teammates, this is not a LIVESTRONG event. The one thing about our team is there is always a discussion about someone we are riding for. One woman I met today talked about how she hoped her friend would survive his brain cancer a bit longer so she could tell him about this weeks adventure. No matter how much fun we have - we also ride with purpose. We ride to help people with cancer now.  

I said I was dedicating every day to those  impacted by cancer. Tomorrow I'm riding for MY loved ones.
 
In memory of: 
my Grandpa, 
my great uncle George, 
my girlfriends Cathy Thyen and Amy Mahowald Siegler

In celebration/honor of:
My mom, Barb Spoor
My auntie Sue Dahl
My uncle Randy Kehr

Note the clay duck - I know my uncles will like this bike. 

Must sleep (Well as soon as the fireworks end - I'm watching from my tent). Tomorrow is 69 miles. We plan to head out about 7:30 am and ride to the first town for a pancake breakfast at the local fire station. Nope, this isn't a typical bike ride :)

KK

No comments:

Post a Comment