Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 2. A "short day.

Today I rode with Cindy and Katie. We were known as Charlie's Angels. Ok. Yes. We named ourselves that. These women rock. They ride my pace and we kept each other entertained. It was awesome. 

We rode 43 miles today. I'm not going to lie... The last 10 miles SUCKED. Crazy headwinds meant pedaling hard and barley moving. I think everyone has ended the ride with "that sucked". But we did it. I wish I could have had a picture of us entering Emetsburg aligned side by side and fist pumped in the air. Great moment!!
I had a bee enter my jersey and sting me twice before I managed to get it out while never losing my pace. But damn that hurt :(

We stopped at the fire station for breakfast again. I haven't had pancakes on a long time... I like this food at RAGBRAI! 

We came upon a stand still on the ride. A huge crowd of bikers stood stopped. Road closed by bikers. If you are a biker you know instantly something serious has happened. As we made our way into the ditch and to wait it out. The crowd started to move and we heard. A man had a heart attack and was being taken off to hospital. My dear friend and fellow rider Norm was one if the first on scene and performed CPR. He is a nurse, and hopefully helped save him. Sadly we heard he hasn't been resuscitated when he left. 

It was a dark moment in the day and the reality of the hell we are putting our bodies through. I pray he is okay. 

On to happier stuff. 
We kissed a pig, per a small horse and laughed at the goats noises. 
We got tattoos... Temporary, and awesome :)

In short. A great day. We are being hosted by a family in town. Thy let us shower in their house and camp in their yard. 

I can't say this enough... The Iowan's on this route are so incredible!!

Hey Amy Mueller. Your mom stopped by at our site before I got in. Tell her I'm sorry I missed her :)

Tomorrow is a LONG ASS MILEAGE DAY. So wish us luck. There is a heat advisory in place too....Awesome (sarcasm). 


Tomorrow I will be riding for my friend Julie's dad, George Kelinschmidt and friends Mary and Bills mom, Viv Illetschko. 
Both lost their parent to this damn disease. cancer sucks. 

2 comments:

  1. I will let her know. I hope Emmetsburg treated you well - other than the bee :) Ride strong! You ROCK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. KEHR! (I hope this comment actually makes it on here!)
    This sounds like an amazing experience. Thank you for sharing! I love the pics! Keep pedaling, baby! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete