Thursday, July 24, 2014

Hi from Mason City, Iowa


Cell phone coverage is extremely spotty. Haven't had anything in two days. So I'm recapping Tuesdays and Wednesday at once. Please excuse auto corrects and typos. 


Tiesday was a long assssssss day. 75 miles and yes, I'll own it ... we took a short cut and cut off 4 miles. So happy we did too :) thank you to all who sent good energy when I asked for it via Facebook - I know it helped!! So did the amazing women who let me draft off a bit when I didn't think I could keep going. 


The day had started with 10 miles into 25-30mph head winds. The thing about head winds is they are mentally and physically draining. You pedal so hard and barely move... You feel like you are towing a car behind you. It sucks. But... Katie told me the story of how her and Scott (her hubby) met, and that kept us from going crazy (it's all about distractions). We made it out of that steth of head wind and made our way through the day. Stopping, stretching, laughing... A lot. 

We did have one incident . Cindy didn't unclip enough and fell into gravel as we arrived at a town. We laughed hard... . Don't worry, we made sure she was okay first. 


Oh and when Lance passed us that morning , he greeted us with "good morning girls" then he stopped just ahead for a pic ... so we did too. That was fun.


That night we all headed to a small bar for a bit. Them home to sleep in our tents. 



Day 4 arrived.(Wednsday). We had a beautiful morning and knew we had a late start with a short day. 38 miles.  Murph made breakfast for all of us. So delicious! 

We stopped at about mile 10 where a group of people had a donation based pit stop. Food, banana smoothies, water... Trampoline. It was fun and this is the fun stuff about RAGBRAI, Iowans opening their property to 20,000 cyclist and feeding and refilling water. Midwest niceness! 



We had 5 more  miles to the first stop. It was a PARTY there.  Dancing. Beer. Bloody's. Looking over clear lake. 

My teammates are crazy - but fun! 

From  there we went to the Surf Ballroom. It was on my bucket list and I was thrilled to get there! So fun!!! I've heard the story for years, about " the day the music died"... The cyclist love it! 




We made it to Mason City and had short(5 minutes) Massages. Thank you LIVESTRONG for bringing this service in. Cindy, Katie, Bill, Scitt and I went to town to see Bret Michaels. Townies had said Kid Rock may make an appearance... But we left before he did... If he did. That would have been perfect as "All Summer Long" had blasted about 5 times today.as we rode on various speakers, And when I hear it I think of Cathy 😊


Oh, I almost forgot, Cindy fell again today. Once she said she was okay she also yelled- "take a selfie!" ... So I did. It's how this biking adventure has gone. 


240 miles complete. Legs are sore. Ass is crazy sore. 

But great news- knee feels great!! This is by far harder than anything I've ever done, I would not be able to keep going if it wasn't do these two women. We ride well together and luckily never want to quit at the same time. 

Until  I get wifi again- have a great day! 


Thursday is dedicated in memory to Tami Akermann, who would have been 48 this week and to Barbara Didier Sandridge, my friend Brads sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment