Monday, July 21, 2014

Day 1. Rock Valley to Milford.


Today was awesome, painful, exhausting, disorientating and rocking. 

The ride was suppose to be 69 miles. 
I, who haven't biked over 70 miles ever... Rode 82. Ack!! 

Yes. You read that right. I missed the turn to camp and went 4 miles too far. My saving grace was the lovely lady at Casey's who helped point me in the right direction and the fact that Chris Brewer seems to be the only person to get my texts. The two of them navigated me in. Thank goodness!! 

The team greeted me with helping to haul my bags, tent and find me a hot shower.  

Thoughts from the ride:
- Cisco is my new best friend. 
- pancake breakfasts rock. 
- Lance Armstrong doesn't yell "on your left" when he cuts between people. (He rode between Cisco and I )
- Sheldon's Eagles club has a spicy bloody that we loved. 
- wooooooweeeeee. The fertilizer reeks! - - Oink oink, it's all about the pig here. Very fun! 
- Mr. Porkchop TRULY is worth the wait in line. 
- Iowan's who live along the route are extremely nice and giving. I used someone's bathroom today. So nice. 
- rootbeer floats next to the cows are yummy. 
- Lots of people were out on route with signs saying they are praying for a safe ride. Which I truly appreciate. Cause I truly need all the help I can get :)
- PSA. Wear your helmets and wear them correctly. Witnessed a guy with his head all bloody today on the side of the road.   In fact had a lot of ambulance activity on today's route. Biking can be dangerous. A well fit helmet keeps your odds a bit higher. Be safe :)


After getting showered I jumped on the shuttle to town to find my teammates and my friend Angie who happened to be in town. Hairball was the headliner. They are SO much fun!! We rocked out, watched the fireworks then made our way home. 

Time for shut eye and to rest the legs. 
Tomorrow is Law Enforcement Appreciation day. In honor of that, I'll be wearing my MPLS police hat I received from my favorite police officer, and old neighbor, Matt St. George. 

Tomorrow I will be riding in memory of Matt's mother, Betty St George, who passed from Ovarian cancer. 

I will be riding in honor or my friends Kevin Farley, Sarah Flanders and Laurie Wendel who kicked cancers ass. 

Let's hope tomorrow I find camp okay - and find a signal to upload this :)


No comments:

Post a Comment