Saturday, July 26, 2014

Day 6- Friday.

(Again, please excuse typos and auto corrects.) 

Awoke to rain. A lot of it :(
We heard about a short cut that eliminated a good chunk of miles and decided to go for it. Bill lead the way for Cindy, Katie and I and Scott came too. 

In short. It was one of the scariest experiences of my life. 
- the road was open to traffic, and there was a lot 
- we had a dad and hi 12 year old son that jumped on with us and became part of our group too 
- there was barely any shoulder
- the rain increased at time and felt all most like like sleet. 
- the winds... Well the winds were insane too. 
- it was scary and stupid. I knew it. 

Scott suggested a reprieve at a houses yard. But as we stopped, and the lightening started, we knew we couldn't hang under trees, so I walked up to house and asked the lady if we could stand in the barn. She insisted we stand in their mudd room inside to wam up and stay safe. She let us use their bathroom and offered to make coffee too. 
She and her husband were so very kind and assured us we were on route and would soon be back on track with everyone else. Whew! 

We made if to the next town. The rain stopped. The sun came out and the winds lessened. We had 20 miles left of our 50. 


We rode through Amish country we saw such beautiful sites. The Amish were out cheering for us and we stopped at a Amish General store where Cindy bought a bunch of treats. Including pies. 

Right after we left there. I heard a crash and a yell right behind me. It was Katie. I looked back and she was laying on the ground. I screamed for Cindy to stop and ran back to Katie. Her tire had gone into the groove of the center lane crack (cement roads) and it crashed her. Thank goodness for her helmet as her head hit hard. Cracked the helmet and she walked away with a hurt wrist and headache - it could have been so much worse. 


PSA TIME KIDS: Wear your properly fitted helmet when riding your bike!

We took it nice and easy the rest of the way and finally made our way to Independence. We had a quiet night at camp and laughed about the Day. 


Marty and Jens son, jack, was a visitor at camp. He is a 15 year old who has been battling cancer since 6. Today we wore jerseys dedicated to him. It was great to meet him in person. I have really enjoyed getting to know his parents this week on the ride. 

Tomorrow we are only doing a few miles and taking it easy. I can't believe it's the last day. I can't believe I have made it every day. I can't believe I rode my bike across Iowa! 

Thank you to all of my friends and family who have sent supporting messages! Thank you to the LIVESTRONG staff for the notes we received today- that was a nice surprise! 

This is the hardest thing I've ever done both physically and mentally. I'm grateful for all the prayers and good energy sent.  

I can't wait to get home and see my doggie .. and sleep in my bed! I also can't wait til my cell phone has coverage and a signal again! 

My last day is dedicated to all the people I have on my list to ride for.! There are too many and sadly the list continues to grow.

I ride because I hate cancer. It's that simple. This is my way of taking action in the fight against this horrible disease. 

Till I can write again,.. KK 





No comments:

Post a Comment